Reliable and unbiased advice across all property sectors and New Zealand markets
Strategic Advisory focuses on big property decisions and complex transactions. We work with investors, developers, occupiers and other advisors.
Our clients include some of New Zealand’s largest and most successful companies, central and local government and leading not-for-profits.
We regularly work on customised solutions that address the problems faced by property or portfolio owners or managers. Our capability covers the full spectrum, from high level conceptual strategies through to detailed asset-level planning.
- Multi office consolidation strategies for occupiers
- Long term property-by-property planning for occupiers or investors
- Preliminary options analysis for properties that are problematic or have add value / development opportunities
- Business cases to support strategy decisions
- Property investment strategies
Complex transactions often require specialist expertise to assist with their planning and implementation.
- Procurement processes to source development partners and negotiate development agreements
- Negotiating development agreements on behalf of occupiers
- Business cases or financial analysis to assist with making decisions about complex transactions
- Pricing and structuring recommendations for unusual assets or portfolios, and sale or purchase negotiations
Our tenant representation services involves negotiating leasing transactions on behalf of our tenant clients. This ranges from rent reviews and renewals, through to relocation.
Our team's involvement can be tailored to your requirements. It could range from background support or peer review of commercial terms, through to full leadership of the market search and negotiation process.
Examples of our work have included:
- Large office leases in major cities
- Provincial office transactions
- Industrial leases
- Residential leases
Feasibility studies assess the viability of a potential development project.
We have experience and expertise across a wide range of project types, including:
- Major transformation schemes with market changing scale or new-to-market product types
- Traditional commercial uses (eg offices, industrial, etc)
- Mixed-use schemes
- Developments in provincial markets
- Coworking developments
- Build-to-rent and co-living developments
Our expertise in forecasting involves developing robust projections of key property market metrics to support decisions around new developments or investments.
We have experience working across a wide range of project types for investors, developers, occupiers and government.
Examples of our work have included:
- Forecasting housing market performance for major cities and provincial areas
- Forecasting the performance of commercial property markets (E.g. Offices, industrial, retail, etc)
- Demand and supply analysis for different types of product
- Advice on product typology, mix and design
National Director | Strategic Advisory
Alan has overall responsibility for Strategic Advisory for Colliers International in New Zealand.
He advises a wide range of public and private sector organizations. Clients include Auckland Council,, Massey University, Kiwi Property, Ngai Tahu Property, Ngati Whatua Orakei, Ngati Whatua o Kaipara, NZ Super, and various departments of the New Zealand government including Police, MBIE, Ministry of Justice, and Kainga Ora.
Director | Strategic Advisory
Chris is a Director within the Strategic Advisory team. The team helps you with your big property decisions and complex transactions.
Chris' advisory work focuses on:
- Decision making processes (eg property strategy, business cases, feasibilities, etc)
- Tenant representation for large lease transactions (office, industrial and specialist-use)
- Multi-site networks (eg consolidation strategies, optimisation, etc)
Chris’ background in brief:
- Property strategy advisor for some of New Zealand’s most successful private sector, public sector and non-for-profit organisations.
- Tenant representative (tenant-paid lease negotiator) for organisations ranging from small-to-medium enterprises through to major listed companies and government agencies.
- Specialist skills in commercial leasing, financial analysis and market research.
- Part-time lecturer at the University of Auckland Business School and commercial leasing trainer for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Chris’ qualifications include Honours degrees in both Civil Engineering and Property from the University of Auckland, and a Master of Philosophy from the University of Cambridge, UK. He is a Chartered Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Outside of work, Chris is a combat engineer in the NZ Army Reserve and a keen baker.
Senior Analyst | Strategic Advisory
Caity joined the Colliers International Strategic Advisory team as a Senior Analyst in 2016. Prior to joining Strategic Advisory, Caity worked in Colliers’ Hotels team in Auckland.
Caity’s recent work with the Strategic Advisory team has included corporate and investment property strategies, land use advice, options analysis, and development feasibilities. Caity has five years’ experience in the commercial real estate industry. She is currently underway with her Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
Director | Strategic Advisory
Wellington (Corporate Solutions)
David leads Colliers International’s Wellington Strategic Advisory team. The team focuses on helping clients to make their big property decisions, particularly in the central and local government sector. Key areas of expertise include corporate real estate strategy, property investment strategy, feasibility studies, financial analysis, business cases and tenant representation.
David has worked for the past decade in the public sector, within the Treasury and as an advisor to a finance minister.
Prior to joining Colliers, David established and ran the Government Property Management Centre of Expertise, leading strategy and implementation of a portfolio approach to Corporate Real Estate in Government across its 1.6 million sqm commercial portfolio.
Prior to time in Government, David has worked in the property consultancy sector for Dow Group, Opus International, and Enrst & Young. After graduating, David spent time in both the Corporate Real Estate (Westpac) and Investment (AMP) sectors.
Analyst | Stategic Advisory
William joined the Strategic Advisory team as an Analyst in the Auckland CBD office in 2019, after completing studies at The University of Auckland.
Specialising in reseasrch, reporting and analysis to support strategic commercial proprety decision making.
New Zealand Corporate Real Estate Advisor of the year
Young Achiever of the Year