As experts in commercial real estate, our work is built on successfully identifying and navigating opportunities for our clients. In our fourth annual Global Investor Outlook report, we provide a comprehensive, in-depth look at the trends set to dominate the investment market and where we think opportunities can be found in the year ahead. We have synthesised views from our senior Capital Markets experts and investors around the world.
In 2024, challenging conditions will persist, but a clearer rate outlook and tightening bid-ask spreads appear to be on the horizon. As investors continue to seek stability in policy environments, the industrial & logistics (I&L), multifamily and office sectors largely remain their top picks in the upcoming year. As momentum builds, the best-positioned investors will be those who are ready to act on opportunity.
Global Key Themes
- Real estate assets retain appeal despite ‘higher for longer’ interest rates. Pricing will continue to adjust to a more realistic equilibrium, and we expect transactions to pick up in H2 2024.
- Pockets of opportunity are continuing to emerge under tighter conditions. Property funds are facing redemption pressures, and a higher cost of capital is seeing more owner occupiers unlock capital via sale and leaseback transactions.
- A calmer rate environment is coaxing out capital. We anticipate investors will begin to deploy capital that is primarily opportunistic or value-add led on a selective basis.
- Investors continuing to flock to I&L assets due to their perceived stability and growth potential. Investors are migrating to related sub-sectors such as cold/dark storage.
- Number of alliances are growing as investors look at different opportunities to pool resources and mobilise funds. The complexity of accessing some specialised assets such as student housing and data centres will drive more partnerships and joint ventures between investors and developers.
- Growing acceptance of ESG as a key element of investment decision-making. A record proportion (25%) of investors surveyed have ESG-based disposal and acquisition strategies in place, particularly in EMEA and APAC – up from 10% just two years ago. We expect a wave of disposals and value-add opportunities to enter the market.
Download our 2024 Global Investor Outlook below. For more insights and a detailed discussion on capital markets trends and investment opportunities, talk to one of our experts today.